Friday 16 April 2010

Do Less, More

Here it is, April, post-spring-break-week. And what a humdinger it was. I don't think I have ever felt so unprepared in my life. I spent hours before break getting everything all lined up. Plans were on the desk, copies were made, most of report cards were done. So then how come it felt like this entire week hit me like a Mack truck? Whew.

Moving on. I feel like it is time to get back to setting goals for daily life. Do less, more has got to be my new mantra if I am going to continue getting all the bang for my buck out of each day. Of course I already feel like I have it set in the classroom. When I am present with my students, it's all good. But, why is it that being present with my students creates walls of work I never have time to do? Here's my goal for next week. As soon as I can get this pile (did I tell you how huge it is?) off of my desk I am going to spend some serious time making sure I am not giving more for them to do, for me to look at. Just this week alone in reading I felt like putting the extra effort into the motivation and stamina pep talks I gave the kids helped about six kids move into chapter books for the first time. They were literally, begging me to take books home at the end of the day. Lesson learned.

No comments: