Sunday 11 February 2007

Teachers and Web 2.0 - A New Literacy Context

I'm trying to think about how to entice more teachers into the world of Web 2.0. I am constantly overwhelmed by new programs, procedures, assessments, software, etc. If teachers are already feeling out of control, maybe school districts can use technology as a tool for them to gain more control. I certainly think the way in which it is handed to the classroom teacher is critical.

Web 2.0 cannot be viewed as just another new thing to implement. It needs to be in an entirely non-threatening, playful environment. I am needing time to play. I am needing time to ask questions and discover for myself what this new literacy is going to mean for me as an individual. I will be able to apply it to my job soon with help from others. I cannot do this well if I am alone. If there are other educators I work with who are able to help me I will do more.

I would be happy to help others if I am given the time.

1 comment:

Stacey Shubitz said...

I've been doing some writing on this lately. Please stop by and let me know what you think.
http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/search/label/web%202.0
http://mentortexts.blogspot.com/search/label/kylene%20beers
Cheers,
L.T.