Friday 29 August 2008

Hope

I'm hopeful about the school year. I'm hopeful about the election this fall. I'm hopeful about running every day. Hope.

Over the last few years, the nature of education has been bleak: too many standardized teaching methods, not enough focus on the child, lack of respect for the professional in the classroom and an overall lack of focus for our citizens of the future. I can feel change coming. Change. That's right. In one word you know where I stand. And although I do not like to separate myself from others by choosing sides, it's time to get passionate about the choices we make. This week, in my school district I felt the passion creeping back into the hearts of the teachers I work with, growing steadily with each new day of empowerment. We spent time together teaching each other, laughing with each other, inspiring each other with our authentic ideas.

I want to thank my principal, for always believing in us, through the last five years of struggle. My new superintendent is making a difference slowly, thoughtfully, purposefully. Lastly, I want to thank my staff, an incredible group of people who have persevered through some hard times only to become stronger, more creative and more energized by our common experiences together this week.

It's going to be a great school year.

No comments: