Wednesday 27 June 2012

Thinking About Implications of the Common Core for Leveling Books

There are so many ways to level text for an early childhood program.  First I created piles: hard, medium, easy.  Then I started using the Reading Recovery levels created by Marie Clay.  Finally, I used Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell resources to help me pick text for my readers.  Thank goodness there are text level equivalency charts out there.  Because its hard to translate levels between publishers.  And now the Common Core pushes us further into leveling through their recognition of text complexity.

Immediately, I start worrying about the implications this has on my classroom reading resources.  But, the more I listen to the authors of Pathways to the Common Core, I realize how much importance must be placed on providing students time to read appropriately leveled text.

With all new initiatives there will be several interpretations.  Right now I am making my way through the interpretations of Coleman and Calkins.  I am sure there will be many more.  Who helps teachers interpret the standards through the right lens?


No comments: