Monday 24 June 2013

Tough Decisions

I'm so lucky to have such a supportive family.  But, there comes a time when we need to change our plans for the good of the group.  I feel that instinct.  It's not easy.  I think I need to pull out of the trip to New York City in August.  It seems like the two trips already planned for the summer are more than enough already.  It's a hard call to make.  The energy I get from Teachers College in New York is not something I can put a price tag on.  I just feel like my energy is needed elsewhere at that time.  It's almost like too much dessert.

While I love my teaching, I am wondering about my writing, too.  If I truly want to make a commitment to working on my writing more, I have to make the space in my life.  Teaching is my career, my passion, my job, my calling.  It will always be part of who I am.  Living the life of a writer may also be a calling, a passion, a part of me I need to explore.  So, prayerfully, I am considering the different decisions I need to make in my life to support this possible reality.

How funny.  Last year at this time, all I wanted was to get into the reading workshop at the Teachers College.  Now, somehow, it feels like it is not where I am needed in August.  What an interesting turn of events.

I'm also thankful my colleague, Chris Working is such a supportive friend.  Thanks for your understanding, Chris.  I'm sure there will still be lots of learning we can share.

More learning to come.  Where?  Not so sure just yet.

No comments: