Wednesday 26 November 2008

Literacy for the 2.0 Generation


The reasons we read. The reasons we write. Setting a purpose for literacy will continue to drive the way I chose to present, communicate and learn in the classroom. But what are the purposes that my students will engage in these literacy tasks? How soon will they need to require these skills? How can I prepare them to engage in meaningful reading and writing contexts that have yet to be invented? These are some of the issues we need to grapple with as we present, communicate and learn in the classroom with our students. My vigilance, in pursuit of new ways to present, communicate and learn with more interactive text, will lay the foundational framework for my student's ability to read and write in a web 2.0 world.

So where do I begin? I have an ever-changing understanding of developmentally appropriate literacy development in early childhood. With a middle schooler in the house now, I also see the future literacy possibilities in young adults. My concern: I don't want to compromise the quality of literacy instruction I provide in the classroom by filling up their little minds with more complexities than their brains can handle. I want to remain explicit in my literacy instruction.

So what will a secod grade classroom look like with these possible elements? I guess I have to jump in and see. . .

Stay Tuned

No comments: